After putting a call out for nominations in March, Startup Canada has announced the regional winners of its 2018 Startup Canada Awards for the Prairies, British Columbia, and Northern Canada regions.
The Startup Canada Awards recognize the work of Canadian entrepreneurs, businesses, and support organizations. Startup Canada said the regional winners will now be evaluated by the National Adjudication Committee for a chance to be recognized at the national awards, which will take place at the Startup Canada Awards Grand Finale in Ottawa on October 18.
“Congratulations to the 2018 winners of the Startup Canada Awards,” said Victoria Lennox, co-founder and CEO of Startup Canada. “These winners represent the very essence of entrepreneurship. We are proud to celebrate their success with Canadians and our partners around the world.”
BetaKit has rounded up a list of the winners announced so far below.
- Entrepreneur Promotion Award: Jeff Ryzner, president of North Forge Technology Exchange
- Entrepreneur Support Award: Women’s Enterprise Centre of Manitoba
- Global Entrepreneurship Award: Poppy Barley
- Innovation Award: Hendrix
- Social Enterprise Award: CMNGD Linens
- High-Growth Award: Fiasco Gelato
- Woman Entrepreneur Award: Katherine Regnier, founder of Coconut Software Corporation
- Young Entrepreneur Award: Émilie McKinney, founder of Anishinaabe Bimishimo Corporation
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award: Sam Pillar and Forrest Zeisler, co-founders of Jobber
- Entrepreneur’s Choice Award: Jill Earthy, Katrina Carrol-Foster, Genevieve Pinto, and Sana Kapadia, founders of The Raise Collective
- Entrepreneur Promotion Award: Hans Peter Meyer, founder and CEO of LIFT Startups
- Entrepreneur Support Award: Volition
- Global Entrepreneurship Award: Trulioo
- Innovation Award: Hyperlight Systems
- Social Enterprise Award: Abeego
- Woman Entrepreneur Award: Dr. Alexandra Greenhill, founder and chief medical officer of Careteam Technologies
- Young Entrepreneur Award: Brady Lumsden, founder and CEO of Weekend Fuelbag
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award: Aamir Baig, Fraser Hall, Andy Prochazka, and Sam Prochazka, founders of Article
- Entrepreneur’s Choice Award: Luke Legault, founder of The Wandering Bison
- Entrepreneur Promotion Award: Jason Rayner, senior business development advisor for the Yukon Government
- Entrepreneurship Support Award: Selene Vakharia, co-owner of SMRT Women
- Innovation Award: Jim Coates, president of Kryotek Arctic Innovation Inc.
- Social Enterprise Award: Inhabit Media
- High Growth Award: SSi Mobile
- Woman Entrepreneur Award: Tammy Beese, owner of What’s Up Yukon Magazine
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award: Bob Baxter, president of Yukon Brewing Company
“North Forge was honoured to host the Startup Canada Awards and to celebrate entrepreneurs throughout the Prairies,” said Rzyner. “We have incredible talent in Manitoba, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. At North Forge we help entrepreneurs succeed. By shining a light on their success, we hope that they will receive the recognition that they deserve.”
The next set of regional awards will be announced starting on June 7, when Atlantic Canada’s award winners will be announced in Miramichi. Quebec’s regional awards will be announced on June 13 in Montreal, while Ontario’s awards will be announced in Saulte Ste. Marie on June 20.