Waterloo Region tech hub Communitech announced the launch of a conference focused on finding ways to establish tech as a force of good. True North Waterloo will take place May 29-31st, 2018 at the Lot42 Global Flex Complex.
“True North Waterloo is Communitech’s next evolutionary step. We know that technology on its own doesn’t solve problems—passionate people do,” said Iain Klugman, CEO of Communitech. “This event will bring together hackers, hustlers, influencers and policymakers for crucial conversations about the future of tech being used for good in the world.”
This conference aims to build on Communitech’s previous initiatives like the Tech Leadership Conference and Techtoberfest events, while also introducing the idea that the tech industry can be a vehicle for positive change in the world. The innovation centre has supported events around the world for the past 10 years with thousands of attendees and industry experts including, Ray Kurzweil, Robin Chase, Troy Carter, Patty McCord, Susan Cain, and Gary Vaynerchuk.
Confirmed speakers at True North Waterloo are:
- Ed Catmull, cofounder and President of Pixar Animation Studios, president of Walt Disney Animation Studios, and author of Creativity, Inc.
- Rana el Kaliouby, CEO and co-founder of @Affectiva. Kaliouby is working on high-tech devices that can respond to human emotions.
- Sarah Lacy, journalist and serial entrepreneur. Lacy is the founder of investigative tech news site Pando.com and has been covering technology and entrepreneurship for over 15 years at BusinessWeek and TechCrunch.
- Linda Hasenfratz, CEO of Linamar Corporation, she has grown the global manufacturing company from an $800 million enterprise to a $6 billion company.
- Hillary Hartley, founding member of 18F, the first Chief Digital Officer for the Province of Ontario and Deputy Minister for Digital Government.
Early tickets for the conference will be available until January 9.