RBC says it is the first Canadian bank to launch an API developer portal.
The RBC Developers portal will allow eligible external software developers and clients to access select RBC APIs. Once registered and approved, external parties will be able to browse and learn about the APIs offered and build, test, and deploy their applications.
“Across other industries we’ve seen the transformational effect of APIs,” said Sumit Oberai, senior VP of digital technology at RBC. “By providing external developers, industry innovators and clients with access to select RBC APIs, we have the opportunity to increase connectivity, create new tools and experiences for clients, and enable open and innovative collaboration to improve the future of banking.”
RBC is initially offering five API packages in the portal. Each API package delivers the data elements and orchestration required to deliver the end to end business process. Additional API packages will be added in the future.
The packages include:
- Credit card catalog API – Provides access to credit card rates and fees through a business oriented interface. These values are organized in terms of line of business, product family, and individual products
- Minimum down payment API – Calculates the minimum down payment required for a given purchase price of a home
- Branch locator API – Accepts postal code or keyword search term and returns the address and hours of operation of the closest branch, or a list of the closest branches
- Amortization schedule API – Calculates the number of payments associated with a mortgage amount, amortization period, interest details and payment details
- Safety deposit box inventory API – Provides safety deposit box information at a specified branch