SaaS accelerator L-Spark and Queen’s University have unveiled ten companies joining the first cohort of Compass North, an accelerator program focused on growing women-led technology companies.
“We look forward to providing mentorship and strategic training to this first cohort of promising companies.”
Compass North is a Kingston-based accelerator program for women entrepreneurs operating a technology-based business in the Belleville-Kingston-Brockville region of Ontario. The five-month program provides mentoring, tactical workshops, and a community of entrepreneurs to help grow women-led companies. The program is receiving support through the federal government’s Women’s Entrepreneurship Strategy Ecosystem Fund, which is delivered in the region by FedDev Ontario.
“We are proud to partner with Queen’s University on Compass North, which shines a light on women entrepreneurs and helps them grow their businesses”, says Patrick White, managing director of L-Spark. “We look forward to providing mentorship and strategic training to this first cohort of promising companies over the next five months.”
Since the launch of its first accelerator cohort in January 2015, L-Spark has supported 61 companies in Canada. The accelerator has over 10,000 investors, corporate partners, and startups in its network.
The ten companies joining Compass North are:
- Anthony’s Natural Therapies is developing a therapeutic line of scalp and hair products.
- Cold Plasma Group is commercializing a process for the sterilization of dry cannabis based on the use of cold plasma treatments.
- CR Fixture Design has created a design solution for the fixture and gauge industry.
- Cultivate Media is a platform that seeks to creatively reflect and engage readers through storytelling.
- HeroHub is a charitable organization that connects individuals with charities, nonprofits and the opportunities they provide.
- iKare.Med is commercializing a medical device that helps women suffering from bladder leaks. The startup also and reusable and insurable urinary incontinence devices for women.
- QC Integrated Solutions builds and distributes automated testers designed to perform the compliance testing required by manufacturers of disposable AED and ECG electrodes.
- StayBillety is an online home-sharing platform serving groups and their communities.
- The Power Collective develops renewable energy solutions, including its wind turbine.
- The Small Social Company supports small businesses and startup companies with their online advertising and social media presence.
“The Compass North accelerator is one of the premier programs being offered as part of the Queen’s-led WE-CAN Project,” said Janice Mady, director of research and innovation partnerships at Queen’s. “We are delighted to collaborate with L-Spark on the design and delivery of Compass North.”
Image source L-Spark