NEXT Canada is seeking a highly organized, motivated and efficient individual to join a team of 10 staff, and a growing network of mentors, advisors, volunteers and donors. The Development Associate
will be responsible for developing and professionalizing the fundraising practices, products, stewardship and recognition of NEXT Canada. This role will report to the National Director of Development.
This role is based in NEXT Canada offices at Bloor and Avenue, in midtown Toronto (until such time that the offices relocate). The ideal candidate is a university graduate with experience in fundraising and is a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
• Builds and maintains database of current and prospective NEXT Canada sponsors and donors, including individuals, foundations and corporations.
• Works with National Director of Development to activate corporate donor relationships and execute on their stewardship/marketing needs.
• Assists in the management of NEXT Canada Board of Directors (BOD), including but not limited to, scheduling board and audit committee meetings, preparing board and audit committee packages and taking minutes at BOD meetings
• Prepares grant proposals and other written communications with donors.
• Researches new donor prospects following the leads provided by the President and others, and following your own initiative.
• Books meetings and assists with follow-up.
• Prepares development information packages for meetings and ensures that packages are always available as required.
• Prepares donor pledge agreements, thank you letters, and ensures that tax receipts are issued in accordance to proper procedures and in a timely fashion.
• Assists in the planning and execution of donor/ prospect facing events. This includes preparing guest lists, bio packages and monitoring registration.
• Monitors and prepares pledge reminders.
• Takes responsibility for ensuring that donor wishes are complied with and appropriate recognition is given. This may include scheduling meetings or lunches for donors and NEXT Canada students, faculty and co-founders.
• Ensures website and donor signage reflects our donors generosity appropriately, both by improving it and keeping it updated.
• Assists the President and National Director of Development with stewardship of donors and cultivation of prospects.
• Assists the team in execution of programs as required.
• Responsible for development reporting such as writing stewardship reports.
• Other development related duties as assigned.
Preferred Candidate Specifications:
• A university degree and a track record of relevant fundraising experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience with donor management systems (ie. Donor Perfect)
• Experience with event registration software (Event Pro, Celebrations etc.)
• Proficiency in MS Office Applications, particularly Word and Excel
• Highly organized and detail oriented
• Sound judgment and discretion
• A flexible and cooperative team player
• Effective under pressure
• Able to operate effectively without close supervision
• Keen to work in a dynamic and ambitious organization as a key member of a small team.
Qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to submit their
c.v. and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about NEXT Canada