The MaRS Energy Hackathon is coming to Toronto this September and we want to see you there! We are calling on developers, designers, energy experts and budding entrepreneurs to create apps and hardware that make use of the Green Button open API and other sample datasets. The goal? Your brainchild will help consumers better understand, access and manage their electricity consumption.
The Green Button standard has already been adopted across the United States (including Federally!), and is starting to take hold across Ontario. In fact, to date, it’s allowed 2.6 million Ontarians to access and share their electricity data.
Lower Concourse & Auditorium
The MaRS Centre, South Tower
101 College Street, Toronto, Ontario
Build apps & gadgets that make use of the new Green Button Connect my Data Open API. Learn more about the Green Button Connect My Data standard here.
- Best App (Value CDN$1,500)
- Best App – First Runner-Up (Value CDN$1,000)
- Best App – Second Runner-Up (Value CDN$500)
- Chagpar & Associates-backed Prepr Innovation Grant (approximate value: $5,000)
- Pivot Design Group Award for Best UX/Design (approximate value: CDN$5,000)
- 5 free Tuts+Premium subscriptions (approximate value: CDN$900)
- 5 free accounts for Squarespace for 1 year (approximate value: CDN$500)
- Applications are open until September 7 – sign up early to ensure you get a spot!
- Project submissions can be made up until 1pm on Thursday, September 5
- Project submissions will be reviewed & approved – we’ll let you know by email
- There is a team size limit of 8
- All coding is to be done during the event
- Gadgets should be pre-assembled
- Experts will be on hand to provide information about:
- The Green Button Connect My Data API
- Ontario Utilities
- Business development
- MaRS Cleantech & ICE